Holly Bay/Pasadena Trail

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eber75
Eber75's picture
Holly Bay/Pasadena Trail

About that time again to do some clearing and maintenance. Anyone interested in meeting up to do some clean up and clearing?

short bus bully

If it's the trail off of Fairmont I did some trimming today. That trail needs a lot of love but I'm down to help

JONNYR
JONNYR's picture

I live at genoa redbluff and space center. I ride almost ever day over there I would love to help build that place up JON 713-899-1103 let me know

Aroden15

Where is this located off fairmont?

short bus bully

if your going east on fairmont there will be a little parking lot on the right before red bluff
the trails start east of the parking lot and go down the bayou

jeffro

There are off road trails here. There are trails on both sides of the creek and there is major potential for some really good trails with just a bit of work.

No, the trails are no secret, but have always had low traffic. I’ve always kept it on the downlow because I like to ride here when I want to avoid crowds at some of the other popular spots. I get tired of seeing spandex. Alas, I think having more riders out there will do more good than harm being some parts get overgrown and others are disappearing due to lack of use. So here goes…

First, there are trails on both sides of the creek and continue both north and south of the foot bridge. Think of the entire system as an “H”. The trails are the vertical bars, while the horizontal bar is the foot bridge.

Most people only ride the one stretch on the west side close to Fairmont. The trails on the west go from Fairmont, past the concrete ditch and down to a “T” in the creek. In fact there are/were even more trails from there, but I’ll stick to the script. You might find them if you go. Hint - If only there were a simple bridge. The West side is fairly well beaten, so enough about it.

Some of the better drops and turns are in fact on the EAST side. Just like the west side, trails on the east run along the creek north and south of the foot bridge. Problem is people don’t ride them and they get overgrown and start to disappear. These too go from Fairmont all the way past the foot bridge. It’s actually pretty flow and fun when the trails are beaten. They just need a little more traffic, perhaps a few people getting out there with a machete or chain saw.

Last point, there is potential to make this spot pretty sweet. The placement of a couple of bridges could make a killer “loop” trail. You could make the “H a circle with three small bridges. Also, along both sides there are old dredge piles and gullies. Just a tiny bit of work could add many more small climbs and drops.

So, if you in the area, and want some good local trails – go, ride, clean and create. Don’t be scared to look around a corner, go around a bend, traverse some tall grass or go around a brush pile. Trails are there and some traffic will beat them. You might have to do a little work, get off your bike and move something or scout around for where the trail is/was. But hey that’s how all the trails in our area got there in the first place.

Texanaggie

agreed jeffro ,

I was out there last sun and ran the west side from fairmont (going south) to the end where the ditches meet and the trail heads back west and i noticed at two or three partial or whole trees feel on the trail and have completely blocked it. I need to go out there on the weekend and try using a hand saw and battery chain-saw to clear it out some ( i have a gas but dont want the neighborhood around there calling the police thinking kids are vandalizing )

I noticed also there have been several people riding the rail when it is still muddy and that is a shame , that amount of rain we had also washed some of the trail down which is a bummer it is a nice little trail to hit during the week if you dont have tons of time to go to the popular areas........

Tata

First time posting here but after recently purchasing my bike I would like and help with this trail as much as possible since it is closest for me on days when time is limited. I'll be checking this thread to look into times others will be out there so I can help

Hosway
Hosway's picture

Anyway a link or address can be placed here to open it on google maps ?

John Campbell

I used to frequent these trails quite a bit, but the main problem with these trails is not they are not used enough.
it is the fact that they run along the creek. anytime we get a good rain, any work that has been done to improve the course. gets washed downstream and leaving trees down and what not.

TX_stump
TX_stump's picture

I live right around the corner and frequent the trails regularly. Rode there yesterday actually. Me and a buddy have gone out several times over the past year and cleaned up fallen trees, overgrowth, etc. The trails really have potential with a little man power and elbow grease. I'm always looking for someone to ride with or someone to help with maintenance. Hit me up on here if anyone is interested

-Dustin

irideiam
irideiam's picture

I ride the trail several times a week, when it is not muddy, have cleared the trail of trees etc. If anyone is interested in going and want someone to show you the ropes, send me a PM.....

Texanaggie

When i rode the trail the other day before all the rain , I noticed someone cleared out the tree that was on the west side closest to Fairmont , Thanks

with all this rain im sure more are down along the ditch ,,,,,,,,,,,,

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Rode it yesterday, it was dry except for the low spots. There was a new tree down, just past the bridge on the west side. Planning to take my saw out there in the couple days and clear it......

irideiam
irideiam's picture

irideiam wrote:
Rode it yesterday, it was dry except for the low spots. There was a new tree down, just past the bridge on the west side. Planning to take my saw out there in the couple days and clear it......

The tree is cleared..........

Tank

Hey guys! new member here but I ride these trails when I can.... I live nearby. Definitely interested in fixing these trails up to make them more fun. would like to go ride as soon as it clears up.

Gig' em

Tank

Trails were good yesterday... Will ride again this afternoon

Gig' em

Karlo
Board DirectorTrail StewardContributor

Finally made it to this trail, living so close and didn't know about it they do have some good potential but need work. Took my kids this weekend but trails were a bit tacky and a lot of them were overgrown. If some of you guys want to set a date to do some trail work let me know.

Hosway
Hosway's picture

Any chance on a group ride here. Maybe like around 7sh or late afternoon ?

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Hosway wrote:
Any chance on a group ride here. Maybe like around 7sh or late afternoon ?

I am in, I can do it most late afternoons/evenings this week. Rode it yesterday on my rigid 29er, single speed........... Shoot me a PM..(-:

Hosway
Hosway's picture

How's the trail ? Is it to tacky ? Rain rain go away...

Hosway
Hosway's picture

How's the trail ? Is it to tacky ? Rain rain go away...

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Went tonight to see how it looked after the local rain, and it was super muddy, so we didn't ride. We walked part of it and, it looked like the localized rain hit it hard and the creek overflowed on to the trail in some parts. Give it a week to dry out......

There are also a couple trees across the trail on the west side, south of the big drainage ditch that are going to require a bigger saw than I have to remove, if anyone has a chain saw and wants to volunteer to help out one evening, send me a PM and I will meet you there and give you a hand...Thanks

Texanaggie

anybody check it out the last few days, figure this heat ; should be ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

irideiam
irideiam's picture

It's dry, I rode it yesterday, the trees are still down, that I mentioned above. Last time this happened I was able to clear the smaller ones and the City of Pasadena park guys cleared the bigger one. The trees that are down now defiantly need a chainsaw....If someone has a saw send me a PM and I will meet you there to clear the trees....

Texanaggie

Cool,

Thanks Irideiam, I was going to take a quick ride this afternoon around 4 or 5 ish. I will be riding a black Specialized 29er . I also wear shin pads and some black Vans.... I have a chain saw just not sure when I can get out there besides today to ride.....

irideiam
irideiam's picture

MIssed you man, sorry...

Hosway
Hosway's picture

I want to ride tomorrow morning like 630. It would be my first ride out there.

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Hosway wrote:
I want to ride tomorrow morning like 630. It would be my first ride out there.

Man, I am up but have plans, can't make it this morning........

surfdog
surfdog's picture

rode this trail for the first time last Sunday. Many thanks to Charlie Brown for showing me around. Will be there Thursday morning to pay some dues......will bring weed wacker and start trail cleanup. jerry.

surfdog
surfdog's picture

Happy 4th of July....I have continued the work from our friend Charlie Brown and this morning continued opening up the trails.....I can see this getting way better.....need a few more volunteers to keep opening this up and we will have an awesome playground in Pasadena........here's the drill.......bring your weed wacker and machete....start early...work 1 hour.....ride 2 hours.......great workout and good for the soul.....all the best...surfdog j

Texanaggie

sounds awesome , have been trying to get with irideiam and use my chainsaw to cut the two fallens trees off the trail , got to get some time off from work for sure killing me

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Texanaggie wrote:
sounds awesome , have been trying to get with irideiam and use my chainsaw to cut the two fallens trees off the trail , got to get some time off from work for sure killing me

I can meet there this afternoon to help clear the trees, defiantly need more than a weed whacker...

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Texanaggie wrote:

surfdog
surfdog's picture

couldn't make it this afternoon but I have been cleaning the trails every morning......yeah the weed whacker is a bit under gunned in a few spots but it is quick and easy......so far as you may have seen the west trail north of the foot bridge is cleaned and rolling great. We have started working on cleaning the east trail south of the footbridge......I have talked to several riders each day while cleaning and we appear to be gaining momentum on the clean up process. for sure the weed whacker will work on most all of the cleanup but I suggest anyone with a chainsaw looking to help can chime in to remove a few of the trees that are down.....let's do this! reagrds...surfdog.....j

irideiam
irideiam's picture

surfdog wrote:
couldn't make it this afternoon but I have been cleaning the trails every morning......yeah the weed whacker is a bit under gunned in a few spots but it is quick and easy......so far as you may have seen the west trail north of the foot bridge is cleaned and rolling great. We have started working on cleaning the east trail south of the footbridge......I have talked to several riders each day while cleaning and we appear to be gaining momentum on the clean up process. for sure the weed whacker will work on most all of the cleanup but I suggest anyone with a chainsaw looking to help can chime in to remove a few of the trees that are down.....let's do this! reagrds...surfdog.....j

"TexasAggie" has a chainsaw but he has been tied up with work. I checked with another friend who may be able to borrow a saw from his neighbor and give us a hand at the end of the week. Friday will most likely be the day.

irideiam
irideiam's picture

surfdog wrote:

Road it yesterday afternoon, it's looking good....

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Thanks TexasAggie for all your help today. The fallen trees, and one tree that was about to fall on the trail are all cleared off the trail......ride on...

Texanaggie

no problem I am only upset I didn't get a chance to ride before all this rain hit darn it...........

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Texanaggie wrote:
no problem I am only upset I didn't get a chance to ride before all this rain hit darn it...........

Same here, it should dry up in a 4-5 days if we don't get anymore rain....

Hosway
Hosway's picture

What would it take to make this an official ghorba trail ? Its already listed in other trail resources such as MTBR and I beleive the examiner.

radams

Who owns the land that the park is on and what do they consider the status of the trails?

irideiam
irideiam's picture

The land the park is on is owned by the City of Pasadena, not sure about the creek bed/banks were the majority of the good trails run. Why are you pushing to make it an official trail?

Jjjkkklll

How many miles is this trail system? Will someone please post GPS coordinates for the entry?

Thanks!

Stacyyak1
Stacyyak1's picture

I am considering riding this trail this afternoon, what is the condition of the trail?! is it wet out there from the rain the other day?!?

I will use my GPS to do a map of the ride and show the distance...

irideiam
irideiam's picture

Stacyyak1 wrote:
I am considering riding this trail this afternoon, what is the condition of the trail?! is it wet out there from the rain the other day?!?

I will use my GPS to do a map of the ride and show the distance...

The trail is dry. Let me know if you are planning to go one evening this week and I will show you the trail, there are some tricks to finding the trail after creek channels and bridges. There are also parts that are more clear and established than others.

Rico2112

link below to mtbr website has trail coordinates, street map and a few reviews from a while back.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/texas-trails/texas-houston/trail/holly-bay-trail/prd_450454_4582crx.aspx

Rico2112

New to the forum but been riding this trail for sometime now. Monday evening was dry and good to go. A lot of clean up has taken place over the last few weeks/months between rains by a few of us. Thanks to everyone that has pitched in at one time or another. All downed trees have been removed and overgrowth cut down on both east and west sides of the creek. Teeter totter put in on northwest side of creek and NOW a bridge to cross the creek on west trail that leads to probably the most unused portion of these trails. Still a lot that could be done if we could all get together at the same time. Have seen a lot of pedestrian traffic on these trails the past few days so be careful.

I will not be out this evening but will the rest of the week. I ride a black 29er diamondback hardtail.

Rico2112

Teeter Totter is gone. Think the guys were going to re-build it anyways and ended up using the wood for the bridge.

JONNYR
JONNYR's picture

HI i live a block or so away anytime some one is out there and needs some muscle to help out I would love to help
713-899-1103

Texanaggie

anybody know the condition of the trail,i have been out of town for 2 weeks and need to get a ride in .......

Pages