- This event has passed.
2019 Southern Mountain Bike Summit p/b SORBA & IMBA
May 15 - May 18
REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN SOON!
Join SORBA’s volunteers, land managers, advocates, and members in Johnson City,TN, May 15 – 18 for the 2019 Southern Mountain Bike Summit. Workshops, presentations, panels, networking, socials, bike riding, and lots of fun will be had by all. Participants will have access to the new Tannery Knob Bike Park and the Tweetsie Trail, breweries, shops and restaurants, which are all within walking/biking distance from the host hotel, the Carnegie Hotel.
Click HERE for more exciting info about Tannery Knob Bike Park!
The Southern Mountain Bike Summit is a not-to-be-missed event. Nowhere else will you see such a passionate group of mountain bikers in the Southeast meet and work together to create better trail opportunities for all. And, you get to ride your bike on the finest trails in the Southeast!
Special thanks to Tri-Cities SORBA and Johnson City for hosting this Summit!
Summit Location Friday, May 17 – Carnegie Hotel, 1216 W. State of Franklin Rd, Johnson City, TN 37604
Summit Location Saturday, May 18 – East Tennessee State University, Basler Center for Physical Activity, 1244 Jack Vest Dr, Johnson City, TN 37614 (walking distance from Carnegie Hotel)
Schedule of Events
Wednesday, May 15
- Chainsaw Certification for Sawyer B – Bucking Only – Instructors, Chuck Ramsey and Jim Holland – The Sawyer B – Bucking only is a two day course designed to train volunteers to safely and effectively clear downed trees. Participants will learn to independently buck and limb any size material in moderately complex situations. Just as a prospective driver does not go to the local DMV expecting to learn how to drive, prospective sawyers are expected to be comfortable with chainsaw use and to have basic chainsaw maintenance/troubleshooting skills before certification, must have a current CPR/First Aid Certification and PPE.
Trail Crew Leader Training Course – Instructor, Walt Bready The Trail Crew Leader training course is a two‐day course for any volunteer that wants to learn the basic technical trail work skills to lead a crew. It will cover natural surface trail design, construction, maintenance and crew leader training. The focus is long term sustainability that can reduce overall maintenance needs and user impacts on natural resources. Trail crew leaders should have a strong commitment to building sustainable trails and get satisfaction out of helping others have a good time while doing good work.
Thursday, May 16
- Women’s Trail Maintenance & Construction Course – Instructor, Valerie Naylor – The Trail Maintenance & Construction Course is a one-day course geared towards women. Basic sustainable trail planning, design, construction & maintenance. 2-3 hours indoor instruction, 3-4 hours outdoor instruction.
- Chainsaw Certification for Sawyer B – Bucking Only – 2nd day
Trail Crew Leader Training Course – 2nd day
Friday, May 17 – Land Manager Day – Advocates and land managers are welcome to attend a series of sessions geared for the land manager. Coffee reception, lunch, group ride and evening social are included.
Location – Carnegie Hotel, GSBR/Wilder Room, 1216 W State of Franklin Rd, Johnson City, TN 37604
Lunch with Chris Bernhardt on Friday and Saturday. Chris is the Principal with C2 Recreation Consulting and former Director of Field Programs for IMBA. Chris who has worked on major trail development projects from China to Switzerland (not to mention Coldwater Mountain in Anniston Alabama), will share his knowledge of current trends in trail building and design.
Sessions will include
- Johnson City, A Success Story – Learn how SORBA Tri-Cities, local land managers, property owner, bike shops, and IMBA Trail Solutions worked together to create an awesome place to ride!
- Managing Bicycle Speed on Multi-Use Trails, Valerie Naylor, Trails Specialist
- The Power of Trails and Trends in Outdoor Recreation – Your park, mountain biking and the bottom line, Andy Williamson, Principal at Active Strategies
- Portland Oregon’s Off-Road Cycling Master Plan: The surprising challenges for mountain biking in a cycling paradise! Jill Van Winkle, Trails Coordinator, Parks & Recreation, Portland, Oregon
- Tour of Tannery Knob Bike Park and the Latest Trail Building Techniques
- Group Ride
- Evening Social
Saturday, May 18 – Advocates Day – Land managers, SORBA chapter representatives and advocates are welcome to attend sessions geared for our advocates. Coffee reception, lunch, group ride and evening social are included.
Location – East Tennessee State University, Basler Center for Physical Activity, 1244 Jack Vest Dr, Johnson City, TN 37614
Sessions will include
- SORBA Board of Directors Meeting for chapter representatives
- National Trails Strategy & 10 Year Trail Challenge – Chris Sporl, Director of Recreation, Wilderness, Heritage and Partnerships/Volunteer Resources, USFS Region 8
- Thinking Strategically Panel Discussion including the MTB Market Analysis – Deb Caffin, Trails Program Leader, USFS Region 8, Jill Van Winkle – Portland OR Parks & Rec,
- Working with your Local Government Officials
- IMBA is in the House – David Wiens, IMBA Executive Director / Patrick Kell, IMBA Grants Manager and Anthony Duncan, IMBA Local Manager – Updates on IMBA and chapter support.
- Chapter 101: For new chapter leaders.
- Bike Patrol Training – Kelly Pruitt, SORBA Woodstock
- Group Ride
- Evening Social
All programs, clinics and sessions are designed to meet the increasing demand from our chapters, land managers and mountain bike communities for developing and maintaining more trails close to home!
Host Hotel – Carnegie Hotel, 1216 W State of Franklin Rd, Johnson City 37604 423-979-6400 * Special rate of $130 + tax. The summit meeting and sessions will be here. Clinics will be on another location. Easily accessible to downtown and Tannery Knob Bike Park.
Other hotels – Hampton Inn, 508 N State of Franklin Rd, Johnson City 37604, 423-929-8000 Quality Inn, 1900 Roan St, Johnson City, TN 37601 423-928-9600 Fairfield Inn, 3078 Hamilton Pl, Johnson City, TN 37604 423-900-8640
Camping – Woodsmoke Campground, 215 Woodsmoke Dr, Unicoi, TN 37692 423-743-2116 (20 minutes) Camp Stonefly, 200 Blevins Rd, Johnson City, TN 37601 704-301-4080 (15 minutes) Warriors’ Path State Park, 490 Hemlock Rd, Kingsport, TN 37663 Reservations (30 minutes) 12 mile MTB Trail